Currently, the committee is comprised of members from different organisations in Kenya. They are selected for their experience and professional backgroud. They are nominated by a membership committee and appointed by a full board and shall serve two six-year terms. The board is composed of 4 females and 5 males.
ROLE OF THE BOARD
- The board does not approve grants but rather delegates its authority to the director and other staff members.
- Reviews approved action plans at regular board meetings.
- In addition to attending meetings, the board members are also called on for informal consultation and problem-solving assistance during the year.
- They are not paid sitting allowances for board services, but logistical aspects regarding meetings are taken care of since most activities of the organisation are undertaken on a voluntary basis.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD COMMITTEE
- Is to cover the full range of policy approvals for the organisation’s activities – grant-making, investments and management.
- A five-person committee works with the organisation’s executive offices between board meetings.
- The governance practices of the board of SINAM are described in a set of documents including ethos, standards of independence, and NGO act provisions, as adopted by the board and made available in the organisation archives (in printed and electronic form).
- The committees of the board include audit committee, membership (nominating committee), management and governance committee, investment committee, asset-building and community development committee.
- The organisation has an annual process to evaluate the performance of the board committees and individual members.